A Bigsby of a Different Color


So I'm in the middle of my Les Paul '60s Tribute build. I have gutted the guitar and I'm working on what I want to do to her. Since the LP is flat black I have to work some red in there. Today I took on the project of painting the black part of a Bigsby B7 red. Good news, it looks just as badass as it it sounds!!!

Here is what I did:
First I tried to do it with One Shot enamel and my squirrel hair pinstriping brush. That did not work. I found a can of red spray craft paint that worked with metal and applied light coats.

Then I hit it with my head gun and sprayed it again. I put on four coats. My Bigsby cut out left a lot of black around he letters so I shot some of the spray paint into a plastic cup and then got my pinstriping brush out and painted around the Bigsby logo until it was pretty perfect. I'm excited that it came out so nice.
Pinsriping the guitar is in the works. I have a guy I use that has been striping since the late 50's and is probably around 80 now. If I get it all together and I love it then it will get the red and white pinstripes.


No comments:

Post a Comment