Modding My Les Paul Plustop Pro/Fx

I admit it, I like weird guitars. The Epiphone Les Paul Pro/Fx fits that description. The satin neck, coil split humbuckers, Floyd Rose, and allen wrenches mounted on the neck put it in that category for me.
So far I have:
Changed out the pickups - Neck Pearly Gates SD and bridge GFS VEH. I know the GFS should not be that great in comparison to the Pearly Gates but it is sounding pretty good. The Pearly Gates is everything I hoped it would be.

Paper and oil capacitors - This is my first try with Russian caps. I installed these the same time I put in the pickups so I can't really gauge how big of a change they made but for $14 I'll probably do this to all my guitars to grab that retro "Bumble Bee" tone. I will say this, usually I have my tone at 10 but with the new caps I am finding great tones all over the knob.

Brass Block - The block on that Floyd rose is thin and looks like pot metal to me. I have the brass block shipping my way and will get that in latter this week.

To do - I am going to go back in to check on the wiring. The humbuckers aren't sounding great split. I want to check and see if they have them wired in parallel. If not I'll wire them that way to see if it helps any.

Overall - Originally the guitar was pretty muddy and not what I would call a "go to" guitar. The new pickups really woke the guitar up and I am grabbing it a lot more now. I also put on .095 strings. I run them on all my guitars and they sound great on the Pro/Fx as well.

I could live with the guitar on the neck Pearly Gates at all times. It really does nail the Billy Gibbons tone but it also can sound "pretty" and has tons of sustain. The cheapie VEH GFS pu sounds pretty good and when used in conjunction with the PG brightens the sound quite a bit. Using the VEH by itself is a little brighter sound that I could use for our Lynynd Skynyd covers. I expected to rip it out immediately but wanted to give a shot since it was laying around and I'm pretty surprise how well it holds up against the PG.

In general it is built well, looks great, and plays great as well. I lowered the bridge height to get a lower action and did not run into any string buzz. That was a big plus that I didn't need to mess with the frets. The action is fine with me. I don't like the Floyd trem arm but I guess I'll have to learn how to like it. This thing is pretty amazing to be an Epiphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment